CURRICULUM FOR AISTS MASTER
Master of Advanced Studies in Sport Management and Technology degree
Sport managers today need a broad knowledge base to understand the various issues facing sport organisations and federations. With this in mind, the academy’s primary goal is to provide a multidisciplinary approach to sports management education. To accomplish this goal, the AISTS applies the following Modules to sport:
- Management and Business of Sport
- Sport Technology
- Sport Law
- Sport Medicine
- Sport Sociology
- Leadership and Career Development in Sport
- Client Team Project
- Work Experience and Research Report
The programme places an increased focus on digital technologies and how they are driving innovation in sports industry practices. It includes 8 months in the classroom (lectures, case studies, activities and field trips), 2 months of work experience and a research report in the sport industry, with the rest of the time spent on a client team project.
- Start date of the courses: 1 September 2022
- Last day of the courses: 26 May 2023
- Graduation Ceremony: December 2023
The above information is subject to change and updated according to the schedule.
Overview of the MAS Programme
The following two timeline diagrams represent the four graded components: the lectures, the Team Project, the work experience and the Research Report. The red triangles represent the examinations and the deadlines of the four graded components.
September to May
AISTS academic lecturers are professors from the leading universities in Europe and beyond, while speakers from the field are directors and project leaders from:
- World sports organisations such as the International Olympic Committee, Fédération Internationale des Sports Universitaires (FISU), International Association of Summer Olympic International Federations (ASOIF), Global Association of International Sports Federations (GAIFS), International Paralympic Committee (IPC), etc.
- International sport federations from sports such as volleyball, skiing, football, basketball, archery, rowing, athletics, tennis, squash, modern pentathlon, gymnastics, swimming, hockey, cycling, air sports, etc.
- Sports companies (agencies, media, consulting etc) such as Infront, CAA Eleven, European Broadcast Union (EBU), European Club Affairs, LaLiga, Event Knowledge Services, Sports Recruitment International, Shankai Sports, etc.
- Sports event organisers such as Youth Olympic Games Lausanne 2020, Rio 2016, Freeride World Tour, Geneva Open, etc.
- Governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental organisations such as the World Anti-Doping Agency, Court of Arbitration for sport, UNICEF, ILO, WHO, etc
Lectures are complemented by many case studies, field studies and leisure activities. The Olympic capital Lausanne, home to more than 50 international federations, offers the perfect setting with its wide range of sports, leisure and cultural activities.
Open Courses integrated in the MAS
AISTS open courses are aimed at individuals from the working world and cover sports related topics in a compressed time frame. Participation is subject to a fee for external participants. MAS participants benefit by having the courses as part of the programme at no additional cost.Read more
- MSS (Managing Sport Sustainability)
This AISTS MSS (Managing Sport Sustainability) seminar is designed for managers of sport organisations and business leaders seeking to broaden their understanding of how to foster the implementation of a sustainability strategy within the organisation. The seminar also provides good and novel perspectives about sustainable business to policy makers seeking more comprehensive knowledge of how sport organisations may become more sustainable.
The AISTS SEMOS (Sport Event Management and Organisation Seminar) Open Course offers an overview of the key tasks that sports managers need to successfully plan, communicate and operate when organising sport events, providing a 360° view and behind the scenes look at the mechanics of sport events.
- Bonus: Esport day
Thanks to its contacts in the digital sports world, AISTS brings together leading global players in the world of e-sports and provides insight into their plans. Former presenters include the IESF, IOC, Logitech and FIFA.
November to May
The Team Projects allow participants to work on a real case, apply the concepts learned in the programme and understand how to work with a client in a service delivery environment. From 2003 to 2020, a total of 166 Team Projects were completed for diverse organisations, on a variety of topics.
Overall, participants work in teams of 3 – 5 on their own Team Project during this course. Each team member (i.e. AISTS MAS participant) contributes approximately 175 hours to the end result of the Team Project, which culminates in a public presentation and defense of the project in May. More about client team projects.
May to December
Work experience and research report in the sports industry (minimum 2 months)
Participants are required to fulfil at least 8 weeks full-time work experience in sports management and related areas as part of their Master of Advanced Studies degree.
Work placement opportunities can – and sometimes do – translate to full-time work after graduation. Approximately 80% of the AISTS MAS in Sport Management and Technology alumni are working in the sports industry in over 30 different countries on all continents.
Participants are required to successfully pass these in order to obtain the AISTS MAS degree. The 76 ECTS credits are distributed across the AISTS MAS degree as follows:
- Management and Business of Sport, 20 ECTS credits
- Sport Technology, 18 ECTS credits
- Sport Law, 9 ECTS credits
- Sport Medicine 3 ECTS credits
- Sport Sociology, 2 ECTS credits
- Leadership and Career Development in Sport, 4 ECTS credits
- Client Team Project, a project carried out in a group within the framework of a sports organisation or company, counting for 8 ECTS credits
- Work Experience and Research Report, 12 ECTS credits
- Total: 76 credits
The AISTS MAS is ranked #1 Sports Management Program by Eduniversal since 2015.
FIND OUT IF YOU’RE ELIGIBLE
Find out if you’re eligible for the AISTS MAS in Sport Management and Technology. Fill in the form below and a member of our admissions team will be in touch.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.