What is the AISTS MSA?
The AISTS MSA (Master of Sports Administration) is a unique 14 months international postgraduate programme in sports management, endorsed by the International Olympic Committee, and located in Lausanne, Switzerland.
According to the Bologna Education System, the AISTS MSA is a Master of Advanced Studies (MAS). MAS programmes target meeting the needs of working professionals and as such fall in the category of continuing education or professional development.
The AISTS MSA’s full denomination is Master of Advanced Studies in Sport Administration and Technology.
What makes the AISTS MSA degree unique?
- The strong connection with the Olympic Movement having the International Olympic Committee, which is also a founding member of the AISTS and International Sport Federations lecture in class creates a deep understanding and appreciation of the Olympic Movement and Values
- The location of Lausanne, as Olympic Capital, with its high concentration of International Federations, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and international sporting events like Athletissima provides the ideal setting to study sports management
- The academic weight of having three prestigious universities co-sign the degree namely the EPFL, University of Geneva and University of Lausanne.
- The multi-disciplinary approach provides individuals a 360° view of sport management with a wide range of topics covered namely Management, Law, Sociology, Technology and Medicine
- The rich network of over 120 lecturers and speakers consisting of approximately 50% academics and 50% practitioners brings theory and practice together providing a complete perspective of sports management
Who is the AISTS MSA for?
Previous AISTS MSA participant profile brochures:
The AISTS MSA is targeted at candidates who have a university degree and previous work experience but wish to re-orientate their career in the sports industry.
Experience in the sports industry is therefore not a prerequisite but experiences related to sport is a plus, ie, athlete, volunteer, member of sport event organising committee, member of club’s committee, journalism in sport, coaching etc.
International level athletes who participated in world championships, Olympic Games, etc. are also welcome to the programme.
A dedicated scholarship is also offered to such athletes (see AISTS Athlete Scholarship).
To ensure a personalised, interactive environment, the programme is limited to 30-40 students.
What is the outline of the AISTS MSA programme?
- January – September: Lectures and Course Assignments, Written Exams & Team Project (must be completed in Lausanne) - Full-time.
- April – November: Research Paper
October – February (of the following year): At least 8 weeks of work experience
February (of the following year): Graduation Ceremony
Which academic institutions sign the AISTS MSA degree?
The AISTS MSA is a one year full time postgraduate programme which is delivered in Lausanne, the Olympic Capital, Switzerland.
It is organised by AISTS on behalf of some of the best academic and technology institutes of Switzerland who co-sign the degree:
- UNIL (University of Lausanne)
- UNIGE (University of Geneva)
Co-signing Universities in International Rankings
- Rank #1: Times Higher Education’s world #1 ranking of the most international universities & #12 in the category Engineering & Technology (2014-2015)
- Rank #2: Second best campus worldwide among universities younger than 50 years old. (Times Higher Education 100 Under 50 2013)
- Top 20: Ranked in the overall top 20 universities and the top 10 in the field of Engineering and Technology (2014 QS – World Academic Rankings)
Top 150 best universities in the world (Source)
- 105th 2014 World University Rankings
- 136th 2014 Times Higher Education’s World University Rankings
Financial Times Ranking (Source)
- UNIL’s Master in Management ranked 26th in the 2014 Financial Times Rankings of Masters in Management programmes
Top 100 best universities in the world (Source)
- 66th 2014 Shanghai Ranking
- 85th 2014 QS – World University Rankings
The AISTS MSA lectures from January to September take place on the EPFL Campus.
AISTS MSA 2015 Syllabus Overview
Download the AISTS MSA 2015 Syllabus Summary
Management & Business
MGT 100 - Strategic Management of Sport Organisations
MGT 200 - Accounting and Finance Fundamentals
MGT 300 - Business Strategy in Sport
MGT 400 - Sports Marketing and Sponsorship
MGT 500 - Digital Marketing of Sport
MGT 600 - Media Relations and Communication in Sport
MGT 700 - Business of Football
MGT 800 - Organisational Behavior and Leadership
- MED 100 - Sport Medicine Project
MED 200 - Managing Health
MED 300 - Managing Performance
MED 400 - Managing Injuries and Illness
SOC 100 - Generic Fundamentals of the Sociology of Sport
SOC 200 - Sport and Globalisation
SOC 300 - Sport in Consumer Culture
- TEC 100 - Sport Technology Project
TEC 200 - Sport Technology Fundamentals
TEC 300 - Materials and Equipment for Sport
TEC 400 - Information and Communication Technologies in Sport
TEC 500 - Sport Infrastructure
LAW 100 - Legal Entities in Sport
LAW 200 - Contracts in Sport
LAW 300 - Liabilities in Sport
- LAW 400 - Settlement of Conflicts in Sport
LAW 500 - Special Topics in Sport
TRANS 100 - International Sports Federations and Organisations
TRANS 200 - SEMOS (Sport Event Management and Organisation Seminar)
TRANS 300 - Sports Venue Management
TRANS 400 - Swiss Sports System
TRANS 500 - Sustainability & Corporate Social Responsibility
TRANS 600 - Athlete Career Development
TRANS 700 - Sport Analytics
TRANS 800 - Business of Tourism and Sports: Searching for Common Grounds
TRANS 900 - Business of Motorsports
TRANS 1000 - Sport Entrepreneurship
TRANS 1100 - Health and Anti-Doping
Career & Leadership
CAR 100 - Networking Skills
CAR 200 - Career Strategy Development
CAR 300 - Intercultural Skills
CAR 400 - Strategic Thinking Skills
CAR 500 - Communication Skills